Monday, November 16, 2009

My downfall

I readily admit, I love to eat. But here's the honest truth. It's not the food that packs on the pounds and makes my ass the size it is. It's the booze.

I really, really enjoy a good glass of wine or 10. Or an ice cold Beer. Or a good mixed drink. Anyway, I think you get the picture. However, I DON'Twant to have my butt look like the State of Texas. So about three weeks ago or so, I decided it was time to drastically reduced my alcohol intake.

I stopped drinking Chardonnay all together after doing some research. Did you know you can find these "wonderful"(said sarcastically) calorie calculators all over the Internet? After doing some quick research, I discovered I was adding an additional 300 calories to my day and that's erring on the side of caution. Truth be told, I bet it was closer to 500-600 a day. Yeah. I like to drink.

Now the other horrific truth for me, it's a lot harder to lose weight at 42 than it was at 24. At that age, all I used to have to do was take a few days off from eating and whamo! Back into some sexy jeans and life is good again. These days, not so much.

Stone is far braver than I am in that she is willing to share her actual weight and be accountable. So this is my first step at accountability. Sharing with you guys my love for alcohol and the struggle for me to leave it alone. I wish I could tell you that the scale is showing drastic improvements. It isn't. Slight improvements, yes. Drastic, no. According to my last visit at the doctors office for my annual check-up two weeks ago (and aren't THOSE just loaded with good news?!) to my last step onto the monster (scale) that lives in our spare bath, I've managed to reduce myself by about 7 pounds.

I keep telling myself that it will all be worth it in the end. Right?

3 comments:

  1. Hey you hot fox with the skinny girl inside! (Wolfie here... I've got a skinny girl inside, too... only wish I had re-found her at YOUR age, or a few years before after those bouncing boys helped pack on the pounds.)

    I say BRAVO to your 7 pounds, and I shall not divulge too much, but, um... let's just say, having spent about 30 years of my life dieting, the SLOOOOOOOOW way is the better way. Frustrating as hell, but so much better. And better for your skin. Just take my word on that one. K?

    Just keep doing what you're doing. S-L-O-W-L-Y. And don't deprive yourself totally, not only because it doesn't work, but because it sucks.

    Big LITTLE Wolf

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7 pounds is great! is that what you've lost since you put down the wine? cause that would be excellent progress :)

    i am terrified to even drink for fear that i will get drunk - having not had a drink for a few years now, what with pregnancy/ breastfeeding/too exhausted to get the cap off the bottle - and start smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya. Beer is the only alcoholic beverage that does not give me heartburn or a headache. I had gotten into a 2 beer a night habit. Not exactly Hunter S. Thompson, but there are those pesky calories.... and I'm sorry, but I'm a snob about coffee and beer. If I drink beer, it's a real beer, preferably dark- no Rocky Mountain pisswater. If I drink coffee, it's the good stuff from a local roaster, with cream (gulp) and sugar. So I'm with ya. ONE beer a week, and ONE cup of coffee in the morning. we'll see.....
    I'm struggling with the 2 PM -4 PM time frame. That's when I want a Coke, or a sugary something. Tried some a small serving of dried cherries and cashews today, and that was actually quite satisfying.

    ReplyDelete