Sunday, January 3, 2010

Week 8

Weight: 166.5

I am only surprised it is not higher.  Restraint? Nope.  Common sense? None.  Listening when I tell myself to slow the eff down? Fell on deaf ears.  I did work out most days, but I think this oldie but goodie applies here:

Weight loss is 80% nutrition.

It might be true but I don't have to like it.  I would rather work out hard for an hour than have to monitor my food all freaking day.  I have little conversations with myself about food.  About why I eat the way I eat.  Why don't I eat more fruits and veggies? (I'm not a fan of veggies, really.) When did people in general go from eating whole foods to eating crap?  There is a school of thought in the nutrition world that if it wasn't a food 100 years ago, you shouldn't eat it.  I think there is definitely some merit in that idea.  What did folks eat 100 years ago?  Meat, grains, fruits and veg.  Lots of veg.  A hundred years ago veggies were cheap and would feed a ton of people and you'd never really run out.  A hundred years ago everything was "organic" but nothing required a label as food was (as the commercial says) simply un-fooled-around with.  I am trying to re-teach my palate to like some of the veggies that I don't eat.  I know this can be done as I have retrained my brain to like V8 veggie cocktail, where before I hated it.  (The secret: chug that em-effer back and slam a diet pepsi right after.  (Don't do the pepsi all in one shot or you'll barf up both.  Just sayin'.))  I am trying to view things like cheezy poofs (God I love cheezy poofs. With a big part of my entire being.) as not a real food.  Something that artificial looking cannot possibly be healthy (but so tasty, dammit. So tasty. I love you, cheezy poofs).  Retraining the brain is as hard as it sounds.  I am not very good at it yet, as I still habitually  chose a sweet or a simple carb over a veggie.  I know I'm not the only one to get halfway through a handful of cookies and think to myself, Damn, why didn't I think to grab an apple instead?

When I was younger, I could lose weight by exercising.  I never had it easy or anything, it's not like fat just  melted off.  I had to sweat off the pounds and watch my diet.  If I stuck to the BFL plan, I would lose 2 - 4 lbs/week.  Consistently. What I am noticing now is that I must work harder, sweat more, and have fewer Free Days just to see the scale move a bit.  Also, I am finding it much harder to make good food choices, especially after the kids go to bed. The worst part, though, is as soon as I fall off the wagon, I lose all of my gains.  I am back to where? Week Three.  In the last three weeks, I have put on 4.5 lbs and set myself back 5 weeks.  Ugh.  That's hard to see in writing.  BUT! I'm not going to beat myself up over it.  I will get back up and shake it off and keep pushing forward.

1 comment:

  1. You know what? I don't watch what I eat, either. I just avoid sugar. I eat huge portions, but, hey, I'm breastfeeding! Sheesh. Don't get too hard on yourself. Working out is a start.

    ReplyDelete